Thursday, July 16, 2009

Blueberry Streusel Muffins

Photobucket

I just have to get this out of the way - I'm not sure why but I keep wanting to call these Blueberry Streusel Muffins - Violet Beauregarde style. You may not know the name but surely you remember..... Photobucket she is the girl from Willy Wonka who turns into a blueberry, BUT the one advantage that these have is that you won't have to worry about swelling up like Violet because these muffins are low fat (although to taste it you would NOT even know it - they are that sinfully delicious)! In fact, I will go as far to say your scale might even thank you for them. My scale has been in so much trouble that I'm have been contemplating selling it on eBay for being so cruel to me. Why can't it just lie to me? Blogging and baking and being in a new area with new restaurant opportunities does NOT make for a happy ending to the weight loss story. Now before you all start deleting the blog from your favorites - HOLD UP, I'm not going all soft on you, this will NOT turn into a low fat blog - oh heck no, I will just throw a "healthy" or "low fat" alternative on here every now and then to make the "Diet Nazi" - a.k.a the hubs happy. Just make sure no one tells him when I cry out for full fat donations smuggled to me in unmarked boxes. ;)

This recipe has been adapted slightly from Weight Watchers and it's listed as being worth 3 points HOWEVER, I saw that there is a typo (they have listed 1 TBSP of sugar and it is really 1 Cup of sugar, as stated later in the recipe)therefore I'm not sure which way they based their points.

Photobucket

Blueberry Streusel Muffins:

Ingredients:
Muffins:
2 Cups of all purpose flour (in the past I used half white whole wheat and half all purpose flour to reduce the points even further)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp table salt
1 large egg
3/4 Cups sugar
3/4 Cup reduced fat sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup skim milk
2 Cups of Blueberries - washed and picked over

Streusel Topping:
1/4 Cup of all purpose flour - I used slightly more than 1/4 cup
1/4 Cup of Sugar - I used slightly more than 1/4 cup
2 TBSP butter

Directions:
Muffins:
*Preheat oven to 375.
*Place muffin liners in a 12 hole muffin tin - I actually got 14 muffins which also could possibly affect a slight reduction in points.
* In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
*Using an electric mixer, beat egg with 3/4 cup of sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add sour cream and milk and beat until thoroughly combined; blend in vanilla extract.
* Add mixture with flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat until smooth.
* Fold in blueberries (make sure you coat them with flour so that they don't sink to the bottom of your muffin) and fill each muffin liner about 3/4 full; set aside.

Streusel Topping:
*Combine remaining 1/4 cup each of the flour and sugar. Pour in melted butter and combine with finger tips (if it is too moist add equal parts of flour and sugar until it looks like crumbs).
*Divide crumb mixture over muffins.
*Gently press into top of the muffin batter with finger tips.
* Bake until slightly golden and a toothpick inserted in a center of a muffin comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 to 15 min and then transfer muffins onto racks to cool completely.

Enjoy!

Photobucket


Blueberry Muffins on Foodista

10 comments:

  1. That is one of my favorite movies of all times and Blueberry is my favorite muffin!!! YUm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my TV segment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love blueberries and your muffins look delicious!I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Violet your turning violet, Violet!!!

    I have always wondered what they did with all that juice after juicing her?

    Muffins look tasttastic by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you forgot to mention when to add the milk... I assume after the sour cream. They are in the oven right now, and they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Andrea, I think you're going to love them!!! Please come back and let me know what you thought! Thank you for pointing out that I omitted when to add the milk, and yes you were correct is assuming it was after the sour cream. My apologies. I can't wait to hear all about them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I somehow navigated on this recipe (as well as your blog) and made these muffins last night. Marvelous!! My husband loved them and so did I. Thank you so much for sharing a wonderful recipe. I look forward to trying more of your recipes and hope to see you posting again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be so scared of Willy Wonka... Therefore, I hated blueberries. Thankfully, I've since overcome that!

    These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. One of the things I love the most about visiting great blogs like yours is I get to not only see food I've never seen prepared before, but you get to read about how they taste. Love it..... & now I'm hungry .... again :) By the way a busy mom like me doesn’t have much time surfing online to look for great food blog like this, so I rely on Foodista Widget. So please keep adding those lovely widget to every blog you made so moms like me can view your post efficiently. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. can i use yogurt instead of sour cream ?

    ReplyDelete